Shirley K. Turner – LD15 Senate candidate
Phone number: 609-896-0435
Campaign website: www.senatorturner.com
Social media: Facebook: @NJSenatorTurner; Twitter: @NJSenTurner; Instagram: @NJSenTu
Education: B.S. in Health and Physical Education, TCNJ; M.A. Guidance and Counseling, Rider University; doctoral courses at Rutgers University
Occupation: Retired Director of Career Services at Rider University
Party affiliation: Democratic
Public/Party service: Served 2 year term in the NJ General Assembly. Former Mercer County Freeholder.
Position on good government initiatives:
- Would you support reinstituting the statewide public advocate and making it a directly elected position? I support reinstituting the statewide public advocate; however, I would need to give closer analysis to the idea of making it a directly elected position.
- Would you support measures to increase voter participation (eg. same-day registration, early voting, vote by mail)? Yes. I voted yes to S1228 to provide voter registration and reforms in New Jersey. I am also the prime sponsor of S1502 to allow voter registration up to 14 days before the election.
- Would you support ethics reforms that would require broader disclosure on financial information and the release of income taxes by candidates for public office, as a means for regulating campaigns and limiting corruption? I am the co-prime sponsor of S3043, which requires candidates for President and Vice-President of United States to disclose federal income tax returns to appear on ballot and prohibits Electoral College electors from voting for candidates who fail to file income tax returns. I would need more information about broader disclosure on financial information to determine my position and whether such measure would, in fact, help limit corruption.
- Would you support changing the nominating process for members of state-wide Commissions and Boards to have panels of nonpartisan experts nominate candidates, with full public disclosure of the candidates’ credentials, and to have the legislature vote on the nominations? I would need to know more information about who is selecting the “nonpartisan experts” before determining my position.
- Would you support placing a nonpartisan commission in charge of the legislative redistricting process? Yes.
- Would you support instituting public funding for all statewide offices, including the legislature? Yes. I was the sponsor of the clean elections pilot program. I support implementing a statewide program to help clean up elections.
- Would you support making the state legislature full-time and prohibiting simultaneous holding of other paid positions? Yes. The full-time position would require an increase in salary to eliminate the need for another job.
- Would you support reforming New Jersey’s Primary electoral ballots to give all candidates an equal chance of being elected? Yes.