Michele Tuck-Ponder – Candidate for Princeton School District Board of Education
Phone number: 609-613-0910
Social media: Michele Tuck-Ponder for Princeton School Board (Facebook)
Education: B.S., Northwestern University; J.D. University of Pennsylvania Law School
Occupation: Business owner
Public service: Mayor, Princeton Township; Township Committee, Princeton Township; Democratic Muncipal Chair, Princeton Township
Position on good government initiatives:
- Would you support reinstituting the statewide public advocate and making it a directly elected position? Yes.
- Would you support measures to increase voter participation (eg. same-day registration, early voting, vote by mail)? Yes. I think that NJ is lagging behind the times with initiatives to increase voter participation.
- Would you support ethics reforms that would require broader disclosure on financial information and the release of income taxes by candidates for public office, as a means for regulating campaigns and limiting corruption? Yes.
- Would you support changing the nominating process for members of state-wide Commissions and Boards to have panels of nonpartisan experts nominate candidates, with full public disclosure of the candidates’ credentials, and to have the legislature vote on the nominations? No. I am concerned that if the legislature is involved, it would become a partisan activity.
- Would you support placing a nonpartisan commission in charge of the legislative redistricting process? Yes.
- Would you support instituting public funding for all statewide offices, including the legislature? Yes.
- Would you support making the state legislature full-time and prohibiting simultaneous holding of other paid positions? It depends.
- Would you support reforming New Jersey’s Primary electoral ballots to give all candidates an equal chance of being elected? Yes.