Mahmoud Mahmoud – LD32 Assembly candidate
Education: Not provided
Occupation: Not provided
Public/Party service: Not provided
Position on good government initiatives:
- Would you support reforming New Jersey’s Primary electoral ballots to give all candidates an equal chance of being elected?
Yes. I believe in removing vote the line. It causes confusion and is not an example of democracy. Studies show that whoever receives line A wins most elections. This way by making everyone individual running for the same seat in the same column, the voters have to do their research, which is true democracy. We live in an area where people are just forced to vote down a column, and only they are able to receive line A because they have the money and consistently run full slates.
- Would you support measures to increase voter participation (eg. same-day registration, early voting)?
Yes. I believe we should have online voter Registration, make Election Day a state paid holiday, and provide civic engagement to every New Jersey resident from the 2nd grade about voting and how the process works.
- Would you support placing a nonpartisan commission in charge of the legislative redistricting process?
Yes. Redistricting is a process that is rigged for individuals to make certain voters interests not matter. It relies to much on identity politics and is not a democratic process for individuals with their own interests should be involved in.
- Would you support ethics reforms that would require broader disclosure on financial information and the release of income taxes by candidates for public office, as a means for regulating campaigns and limiting corruption?
- Would you support reinstituting the statewide public advocate and making it a directly elected position?
Yes. We need someone to hold our elected officials accountable.
- Would you support changing the nominating process for members of Commissions and Boards to have panels of nonpartisan experts nominate candidates, with full public disclosure of the candidates’ credentials, and to have the legislature vote on the nominations?
- Do you support public funding of campaigns for all statewide offices, including the legislature?
Yes. There is too much big money involved in campaigns and does not give a fair shake to individuals with less money. This way corporations will have less of a say in who gets elected and more individuals will run for office.
- Do you support making the state legislature full-time and prohibiting simultaneous holding of other paid positions?